Watch as I explore a new country, culture, language... and everything in between.

Thursday, January 4, 2007

i leave in three days

My errands are run. but my bags aren't packed. i think you could say i'm procrastinating. it just doesn't seem real that i'm going to be in another country for like 8 weeks! i have never been farther than cancun in my life. i barely speak or understand spanish. what was i thinking?

i guess this is the period you would call denial. like, what am i doing? i'm leaving everything i know.

i'm leaving EVERYONE i know. and i think that is the scariest part. i keep looking at my parents and getting all weird and mushy. i leave them constantly for ou. i have been away from them for longer than this. but i haven't been unable to reach them. well, i can reach them. but what, 5 minutes a day by phone?

and my friends! i am used to not seeing people at other schools, but my ou friends are my soulmates. family away from family. i can't believe everyone is just there without me. ou is in session, and i'm sitting in cleveland! what? i hate it. i want to be walking up huge hills, seeing ADAM TORRES in the NEW front room. i missed that tonight. that is my culture. adam torres in the front room. having no life because i work at too many radio stations. using my huge computer in the dorm room. haha. what a beast. i'm leaving this:



so, i'm sure in a few blog entries, i'll be contradicting this entry... loving things. at least that's what i hope. right now is the worst time because i'm thinking about all the things i'm leaving and that i'm missing, and not really about what is to come.

but when i get past all this worry, i'm excited. when would i ever, EVER, in my life live in Spain? for 8-ish weeks? never. never. never. i have to take advantage of this when i can.

ok, i'm living right next to this park called La Cuidadela with a host mother - Pilar. Can't wait to meet her. the park next to me is shaped like a pentagon/star. it has free art exhibits and huge stone walls and fun stuff like that. i'm meeting new people. people who look at the world in such a different way from me. i don't really know everything that i can write about that will be exciting yet, but that will be upon me soon.

for now, i'm gonna try to get everything i need to done. like maybe sleep. it's 1:10 in the morning and i just don't feel like sleeping. but i should, and i will, and i'll wake up and pack and pack and pack.

miss friends already :(

1 comment:

Lauren said...

don. i'm sitting in our room right now..and i just read your blog, and i cried. not because you're gone, but because i love everything you're doing right now. i miss you (we miss you) already, but come spring it'll be like you had never left and you just became fluent in spanish and experienced something totally amazing right here with us. love you more than my jolly rancher pillow that nic stole tonight...

-n00d